Shadow Era is a free-to-play multi-format virtual collectable card game, which you can play on iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, PC and most web browsers. It has over 550 cards and unlimited deck-building possibilities. If enjoy Magic: The Gathering or World of Warcraft TCG or Hearthstone, then you will likely enjoy Shadow Era.
Upon discovering it three years ago, I loved the game so much I wrote a step-by-step beginner's guide and decided to dedicate part of my website to it. It's quite out of date now, so you might want to try shadowera.net instead, which is run by a team rather than this site. (My own site has been neglected for the last couple of years while I have been very busy working on the game itself!)
NOTE: The game recently had a major user interface overhaul (screenshot above shows old version from 2011), including digital sleeves, playmats, targeting lines, drag-and-drop play, zoomed stats.
Shadow Era News:
- October 2014 - ShadowEra.net has relaunched, aiming to be the number one site for Shadow Era news, decks, articles and videos. Check it out!
- April 2013 - Shadow Era's first expansion, Dark Prophecies, has gone live across all supported platforms. The physical card pre-orders have also re-opened.
- February 2013 - Shadow Era's first expansion, Dark Prophecies, is now available to play for free on the test server, and will be going live in the next few weeks.
- September 2012 - Season Five of the online league has just started, but it's not too late to join. Follow this link to get involved!
- August 2012 - Shadow Era is now available to buy in physical form, in retailers across the U.S. and selected stores around the world.
- June 2012 - I'm running the World Championships Grand Finals on 16th/17th June.
- May 2012 - You can still pre-order physical cards, which come with a huge bounty of bonuses as well as Shadow Crystals to play the online game, but time is running out to get this awesome deal.
- April 2012 - The Shadow Era World Championships are currently in progress. You can view the final standings of Stage 1 here.
- March 2012 - Shadow Era v1.5 was released, with the full 200-card set, fully balanced by the new Design Team and the Players' Focus Group.
- December 2012 - Shadow Era gained a new Design Team, tasked with balancing the full 200-card set, ready for online and physical card release in 2012.
- 6th December 2011 - Shadow Era v1.29, with 10 new weapons, has been released on all platforms.
- 20th November 2011 - Shadow Era v1.28 is now out for all platforms and player ratings have been reset. The race is now on to climb the rankings.
- 29th October 2011 - The latest version of Shadow Era, 1.28, is now out for most platforms - we are just waiting for iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod).
- 5th October 2011 - I have gladly taken on the role of Official Organized Play Specialist for Shadow Era. Click here for the Official Organized Play Calendar.
- 4th October 2011 - I am now hosting an updated version of Orca's fantastic web-based deckbuilder.
- 28th September 2011 - I interviewed 1.27 tournament-winner, Raphael Majere.
- 23rd September 2011 - I've launched the articles section of my website, which will have new Shadow Era articles every week from now on; some will be aimed at helping beginners, others will discuss advanced strategies.
- 21st September 2011 - Raphael Majere has won the 1.27 Launch Tournament, beating Sisyphos 3-2 in a thrilling match. Look out for interviews with both players appearing on this site over the next couple of weeks. Complete results of the tournament, including which player used which Hero, can be found here.
- 13th September 2011 - Shadow Era 1.27 is finally out for iOS. Update your iPhone/iPod/iPad versions now!
- 8th September 2011 - After meeting the legendary Jimmy Wales, I created the Shadow Era Wikia site. Please feel free to register and start improving the content.
- 2nd September 2011 - I added a handy frame-based page for the Shadow Era 40-card Leagues, which allows you to access the chatroom, test server, live server and league website all from one browser window. I have also integrated the "forum-stalker", so you can see when Forum users are online. If your browser can handle frames, I highly recommend you check out this page.
- 1st September 2011 - I run and host the unofficial Shadow Era 40-card Leagues, with prizes sponsored by Wulven Studios (the makers of Shadow Era).
- 15th August 2011 - I have made two "helper" frame-based webpages for Shadow Era players: the free Test Server with chatroom and the Live Server with chatroom.
- 3rd July 2011 - I now host the unofficial Shadow Era 40-card Ladder. There are no prizes currently; it's all about the challenge and bragging rights.